View Profile Coop

All 1,108 Audio Reviews

716 w/ Responses

Good, except for the "stutters"

Don't get me wrong, the might of the classical genre has seen a generous nod toward it in this piece, where you have tried to meld it with more modern styles, which is acceptable, as it has been done before, though personally, I would not have gone with the stutters - it makes it sound like the track is buffering and I know that my internet connection is not that slow.

You've made a nice start with the basic classical sound and I think that I would like to hear it taken further, perhaps developed into something more than just a string backing track - perhaps combine it with synths, to give a different sound, but suitable modernised, to take it forward. I just think that while your idea is good, the execution alienates purists more than other tactics would.

It's something to consider at least.

lnitroburstl responds:

Much appreciated man.

Why the silence? We can hack 10-15 seconds off the intro and lose nothing at all. My speakers aren't that bad and I heard NOTHING for that start. Throwing more at the piece there would help, or throw it in the deep end from sooner.

After that, the track is quite repetitive, without much merit in variation at all. Sure, you use a few flourishes that give some flair to the piece, but the melody gets boring far too quickly, even for a trance / dance / house piece. You've got to be more out there, in order to grab the audience's attention and this lacks that, with a single instrumental melody, which needs something to give it a boost to the next level.

Vary the pace, the instruments, the bass, hell, give us an instrumental or some vocal samples to bust the track out of this funk. It desperately needs to be shoved forward.

ForeverBound responds:

I really appreciate your review. Thanks
And i'm gonna work on that ;)

Good use of variation.

Not just the usual techno jazz of adding something, taking something else off and playing about with the combination through the song, like you're experimenting. This sounds like you've thought about it and are ready to show us just what you can create.

Yes, some parts were a little repetitive, especially as you brought the melody back in at the end of the track - we'd been too long without it, so suffered at the reintroduction. Try perhaps having the bridge with no melody being half as long and see how that bit works out.

An interesting vocal sample at the end with the "techno" being replicated in a voice that reminds me of a 1980s BBC school computer. Yes, I am that old.

With the way that you build up your track and indeed build it down, you change the track, but are careful not to change too much, which is nice. A few more tweaks can prevent it going too far in places, but overall, an enjoyable listen.

Driven by the beat.

A very nice track, that gives a good atmosphere, kind of the sort of thing I expect in certain rooms of a Zelda-like game, from the 1990s, if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, that's not meant to be derogatory, but it's what I thought of, when I first heard it.

As Jazz goes, the drums were a little too regular - everything should be composed as it runs along and that gives it a very abstract quality. The drums seemed too generic to really get off the ground, while the sax and the synths seemed brilliant, the bassline pumped, but that and the drums seemed to get away from what I think of as Jazz, myself.

Still, a nice break from having to listen to Dubstep for the RRC, I suppose :P Keep them coming, this shows a lot of promise.

[Review Request Club]

Well balanced, but could use more variation...

I feel that this is a good track - like you say, it's not bad at all for an hour's work. It starts off well enough, building up from a synth loop and bass beat to something a little more, from a few more effects being added in for good measure. I think that along that line with the intro / opening salvos, you could have added in slightly more in the way of instrumental variation. The bass is powerful, but not spectacular and the synths do nothing to make me feel that this is anything other than the rest of the techno herd, blindly following the others.

Really good techno pushes the boundaries and gets confused with the other similar genres - trance, house, garage, drum & bass, for example. Nothing here seems to come close to those and as a result, something is lost within. The outro, with the high pitched xylophone was fantastic, but merely too little, too late.

alienchao responds:

Thanks. I can see what you mean about pushing the boundaries and variation; I'll keep that in mind for future stuff. Also, I'm glad you like the outro. I too thought that was the best part of the song.

Dominated by the overtones..

The whole track is overrun by this sound, which overflows and drowns out the rest of the track. As a result, you're losing marks, as the melody doesn't get much of a chance to come through, while the rest of the piece does get to make a few marks, but they don't give you as much impact.

Given that the sound of the piece as a whole is good overall, you do come out of this quite well, but then we consider that it could be so much more, if that overtone in itself was reduced in volume and presence, just to give the rest of the track a chance, it would sound so much better, with little additional effort.

ZxOOxZ responds:

IâEUTMm assuming your talking about the bass wub, the high synths need to be clearer, and this is a redone version of my original which is on my other profile -.- long story.... http://soundcloud.com/zxooxz/sun-down

Great ambience.

Wow, I love the way that this piece grows and gives fruit to the imagery of my imagination. The bassline, that has little branches of melody growing off it, in the form of percussion and woodwind melody in the early going. Then you move on and get into a faster paced part, as a horse gallops past the tree, suddenly quickening the pace and taking us elsewhere - some sort of Indian Jungle, or perhaps an Arabian Bazaar, for example. Then we are off again, galloping across the landscape, with a sense of renewed urgency. Suddenly, we find ourselves back at the tree of the intro, continuing that journey, through day and night. From this one tree, others grow around it, making an oasis, perhaps even a forest, all from that one source.

I think that the piece should be classified under Ambient, as opposed to Miscellaneous. That's just how it sounds to me. The other change I would have made is not to use the dubstep "stutter" sound in the piece, as that just doesn't seem right in such a piece as this. Almost as if it is too big for my computer to cope with and the track has not downloaded enough, so it stumbles.

SkyeWint responds:

Hey, Coop!

I am glad you like the song! :D That imagery you described... that was really what you thought of? Coooooool, man. Sounds like it was fun to be you while you were listening.
As you probably noticed in the description, I spent an entire month working on this, polishing and fiddling with everything to make sure it's just right. It was a pain, believe me.

Now, the stutter you're talking about - I know about it. It's not the actual song, but an issue with the NG audio player. Several possibilities about why this is happening. 1. It actually hasn't loaded enough (unlikely). 2. You're opening/closing new tabs and/or windows in the same web browser you're using to listen. Not sure if it also happens from external applications.

If you download and listen to it, or aren't surfing the 'net while listening from here, you should be fine! :D

...And the main reason I didn't submit this under ambient was the big orchestral section in the middle. It's also slightly less ambient afterwards, so...

Thanks for the review!

Tim Burton meets Discworld.

Hmm, this piece starts and ends with a lot of Hallowe'en influence, sounding quite macabre, with the winding of gears and the unmistakeable sound of a theremin mixing in there. It sounds pensive and very horror, but in a child's sort of way, paving the way for a 12A certificate, as opposed to gunning for the 18, that most horrors go for.

Then the tempo picks up and in the middle, it sounds very much like some of the music used in the live action versions of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Industrial, clockwork, steam, yet heavily influenced by comedy and a dash of slapstick thrown in for good measure (along with a custard pie)

A strange blend, one that works, yet for some reason, one that I'm not that big a fan of. Oh well, can't win them all.

steampianist responds:

Getting there, but it needs a little something else.

Right from the get-go, this piece needs a little something else. The bass lacks in depth and power, which would see an easy fix, for the duration of the piece. If you do that, the track would have more body to it, with immediate affect. The second major point that grabs your attention is the repetitive nature of the track - there can be a lot done to the piece, by adding a solo or a modulation, but this has the markings of being quite similar the whole way through. Either the changes are too subtle, or it hasn't been changed enough.

You've produced a good sound, with a decent variety of instruments, so keep that part up, perhaps even venturing to add more. As the piece is house, it can always stand to be a little longer, perhaps even knocking on the door of six minutes, without really seeming too long, so have a go with that, this sort of thing leads to an increased need for variation, so be wary of that, though.

[Review Request Club]

The quality really brings this down. From the engineered backing beat that's available on most keyboards to the low bass sound of the track generally that indicated you either need better recording hardware and software, or somewhere with better acoustics to perform, there's something not quite right.

I'm not sure what a wooden door opening and shutting has to do with one being imprisoned - I'd personally have gone online and found a more convincing prison door shutting or slamming, to give more realism in the piece.

The track really needs a bassline, as well as something with more body on the drums. From the sound that you currently have, the bass isn't present at all, which takes all of the life out of the piece. Giving it at least some would give you a well rounded piece and allow people to focus on the guitar, instead of what the piece is missing in the background.

[Review Request Club]

You know, I stopped shaving to think of something to write here. That worked out well.

Will Cooper @Coop