View Profile Coop

All 1,099 Audio Reviews

708 w/ Responses

Very moving.

I think that this piece is great, in spite of the change of pace in the middle - for a piece this short, I'm not sure that you can justify a change of pace as drastic as you put in there after a mere minute. Yes, some of the greats of the classical genre get away with that in pieces which are three or four times as long as this piece, so you need to consider perhaps adding more to the piece, to give a more balanced piece.

I love the emotions that the piece evokes - you really have given me a nice uplifting piece, that evokes positive emotion and when the true pace of the piece hits, you get lifted and practically thrown aloft by the sheer force of the feeling. Perhaps forced is too strong a word, because it encouraged me very willingly upwards. I love the whole sound and if it could give us some more, in terms of length, that would really give me a great boost.

SkyeWint responds:

Hi, Coop!

"for a piece this short, I'm not sure that you can justify a change of pace as drastic as you put in there after a mere minute."
I'm not sure whether to laugh at the fact that you said this or not - Winrar1337 said pretty much the exact opposite of it.

All I can say is good, you noticed the change. :) The entire piece is intended to flow along smoothly - that change there is essentially the end of the slow 'intro' to the piece, going to the main part of it.

"I love the emotions that the piece evokes"
:D

"I love the whole sound and if it could give us some more, in terms of length, that would really give me a great boost."
Haha, I'd have loved to make it longer, but sometimes you have to know when to stop, neh? There wasn't much more I could have done with this song, and it actually is a decent length for what is /basically/ a solo piano piece in Renaissance style.

Don't worry though, I'm working on a piece that's MUCH longer, it's 4 minutes long already and only about 2/3 done theme and length-wise, probably even a bit less. Plus, it has full-on orchestral sections and a nice calm section with ambient percussion for those that like more laid-back music.

In any case, I'm glad you liked the music! :D

Thanks for the great review, as always! Hope to see more of 'em!

-Swint-

Good balance, impressive work.

I liked the way that this finished piece sounded. I'm not used to a House track that doesn't knock my lungs back into my ribs by the sound of the bass beat, it's a refreshing change, I must say. The beat is good and still a noticeable presence, while on top of that, the melody slowly builds up to sing alongside the beat, which then steps back from the mic, giving spotlight to the main attraction, before resorting to backing. Like a duet, these two aspects of the track trade off time at the top with one another in a well choreographed design - something that I was highly impressed with.

I feel that there is more that this track can come up with - perhaps a third sound in the form of a counter melody at some stage - when the bass is faded out in the latter part of the track, have you considered having the melody and counter duel with one another? It might work well. Had I been in control, I would not have faded the outro so soon, or for so long, it did drag the track on for an inconsequential 20 seconds, which didn't do you any favours.

[Review Request Club]

Great beat, ruined by dubstep.

For the first minute and a half, this was a great track. Then in comes the dubstep bollocks and just ruins the whole track, if I'm honest. I was happily tapping my foot to the beat, then you started distorting the sounds and the siren effect that you had in the middle, which didn't work at all.

Basically, the dubstep distortions were too heavy handed and the patches of the piece that had none in at all wee much better, because you left it out. Sure, this sound is not for me, but even to someone whom it is for, you would surely need to tone down the harsh edges, otherwise it sounds like you're listening to two different tracks, which flip-flop for three minutes.

It could be so much more, but there are areas that need work.

Good pace and drive.

I think that while the bassline for this piece started off just a little too low (too much water in the ears at that stage, which rises to the surface rapidly, draining it away), it certainly rectified quickly. There is a good balance between the rhythm and the melody, with constructive use of bridges, to give variety and a lovely change for the solo in the middle, then the modulation at the end, to take it even further.

Certainly something that I can see included in beat-em-up or racing games, I feel that there's a great scope to take things further here and make similar sounding tracks, either for remixes, or even with a view to making a whole album out of this sort of thing. Keep up the great work!

Gario responds:

A nice detailed response - it's always nice to receive one of those from time to time. Thanks for giving this your ear and review, as that's always rare on this site.

Moving and deep.

Could you not have fit the lyrics in the comments section? Quite a shame, as to have the support of the lyrics, this piece would have truly benefited. Still, a good sound overall, lyrics or no.

The hornpipe / flute makes the piece sound vaguely oriental, which is strange, to be honest in the intro, having read your notes about Breton France. When the lyrics came into full swing, I was a little disappointed that the vocalists didn't quite hit the harmony (I think it was more an issue with the backing vocals, but only minor, to be honest), but the balance of the softly spoken track was well stated.

The guitar and piano could have easily overpowered the piece, but they stayed nicely in check, backed by soft percussion, to compliment the whole ensemble, giving rise to a piece that should bring a tear to the eye of some listeners, if used on the right sort of film / animation.

Troisnyx responds:

I was the vocalist as well as the arranger, and I'm aware my vocals were off key in places. Thank you for pointing that out. : )

Also, thank you for the feedback. I'll put the lyrics (and hopefully a better version of this song) at some point, most likely after my exams are over. No promises though, but I'll try!

Light and airy.

I love the way that this piece can bring a smile to the most hardcore of angry individual, because it uses a good sensible beat, some instruments that encourage the listener to perk up, such as the xylophone and generally has a lot of uplifting qualities about it.

I think that it's not a tune that grabs you by the scruff of the neck, but it lifts you from the very base, towards the sky, saying "look on the bright side", which is what everyone needs from time to time. Kind of like "Would you be there", by Michael Jackson.

There are a few songs out there that sound similar in the piano riff, but I think that you've done enough to distinguish yourself from these and adding to it only makes the piece better as a whole. Perhaps pause the xylophone at a stage and allow the piano a solo, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

I'll come back and listen to this, when I need a lift!

[Review Request Club]

A good blend of sounds, that gives the impression of a pure 1980s game. The combination of various effects from the genre says to me a platformer, though the content of this is largely unknown, so your title of Frozen Heart can be slightly ambiguous, but that's not an issue.

The walking beat that you throw in there about halfway through just seems to be too quick. Halving the speed of it would work well with the rest of the track, but the main melody seems to be blocked out a little by it at present.

It's only minor issues that need dealing with, but I feel that you've got a great track, that is ready to get even better.

SuperBastard responds:

Thanks for the review man, I'll go in right now and try out what you suggested.

Not bad, but it needs more "filler".

I think that there is one of two problems here - either there is not enough in the pause gaps of the track, or that there is too much clutter in there as it is. The initial "gallop" into the piece with the bass beat works nicely and then the addition of the higher pitched melody made it more difficult for me to appreciate. That's not to say I fell out with it, but it could have sounded better.

I try not to be too negative, but that third part of the track (beat, melody,???) seems to be where the problems come from, as the two together work well and the third part (let's call it a counter melody for now) just seems to make a mess. Perhaps that is the issue that needs fixing.

Oh, and it seemed like the track was just getting into its swing and you stopped playing it, fading out and stopping altogether. Another minute is needed, at least, I feel.

silverblazebrony responds:

Thanks! There is, as you've said, allot of work to do on this song. The fade out at the end is actually the looping point of the song in-game, though I'll be making changes to this song for sure. since it's still just a second draft.

Thanks for the review! It's very helpful. :b

A little repetitive, but good.

I like the way that this sounds, as the beat is powerful, but not overpowering and the melody doesn't have to struggle to get past it. The tune gets repetitive, as both major components seem to have their merits, but looping them as they have been just doesn't get me going. From the way that the variation works its way in there, you can hear something different, but these pieces need to be developed, to exploit their potential a bit more - make the verses a little longer and the chorus just a little shorter.

The length of the track is good and the mix sounds polished, so I think that playing with the balance would be the best thing, as opposed to mastering.

BuggMusic responds:

Again, sorry for the repetitiveness. I do definitely try my best with the mix and mastering as well. Because of my limited working environment (one laptop, 5.1 logitech speakers and headphones), my mix usually ends up sounding pretty good on my system, but other people find it a bit off. I do apologize for this, I really wish I had some good studio monitors, but it's just something I can't afford right now. Anyway, thanks for the review!

A strong blend, well tempered.

I feel that you've got this piece spot on, with the way that you've taken the initial melody of the synthesised keyboard / accordion. That can get a little repetitive, so that's cost you a little, but the addition of the counter and the beat really does help. This piece is certainly one that gets you tapping your feet as well as people like me thinking. I can see things like a simple light show being set to this, but not only that, there are so many other options, including racing games, though the pace may be a little slow for that, but it certainly makes a good backing tune.

If I'd have had my own way, then I would have put a bass solo in there, when you mess about with the beat, perhaps even the tempo, speed it up, play around with that and then come back down, handing over to the melody, as the bass falls back into step with everything else, restoring parity to the piece. Still, your idea of killing off the bass for a short moment in middle seemed to work as well. The only reason that my suggestion is there is perhaps to break the monotony of the melody, as it gets repetitive.

[Review Request Club]

You know, I stopped shaving to think of something to write here. That worked out well.

Will Cooper @Coop